In the SteeleLab, we are committed to open science. On this page, you will find a list our open science efforts, including information about open access, open data, our open source software projects, and work related to open hardware.
We strive to have all of our publications are all available open-access (“green”) on the arxiv server (see publication page).
In the group, we have started by working with a few basic levels of open data:
- Level 0: Publication of the processed data files as plotted in the figures in the paper.
- Level 1: Publication of the raw data, as recorded by our computers, along with software and processing scripts that derive the plotted data from the raw data
These definitions are based on a QN department policy that I developed with Anton Akhmerov.
In level 1, we may also include the measurements scripts and that controlled the equipment when the data was measured. In the group, our scripts typically use the open source library STLab, making it possible to fully reproduce the measurement procedure performed.
We are also looking towards the future beyond open data. For this, we are working on developing practical, pragmatic ways of more thoroughly documenting the research we do using the tools that modern ICT can offer.
Publications including Level 1 Open Data
Publications including Level 0 Open Data
Large spin-orbit coupling in carbon nanotubes
G.A. Steele, F. Pei, E.A. Laird, J.M. Jol, H.B. Meerwaldt & L.P. Kouwenhoven
Nature Communications 4:1573 doi: 10.1038/ncomms2584 (2013) arxiv
Open Source Software
- Spyview A data visualization / anlaysis software package that Gary wrote during his PhD.
- STLab A python / VISA based measurement library coded from the ground up our former postdoc Mark Jenkins.
- STCad A python library for mask design of our chips, including resonators, qubits and DC devices. Note that the designs produced by the example code in the library are licensed under the CC-BY-SA licence.
Below, you can find a full bill of materials and details of contruction of our 2D material stamping setup. We are currently considering making more of our hardware projects fully open.